· WITH THE GADGET–LOVING CAFFEINE JUNKIE ·

Sunday 10 March 2013

Coffeesmith

I thought I would try Coffeesmith, one of the independent coffee joints in Raffles Place, on a weekday afternoon after the lunch crowd had eased. Used to being charged extra for takeaway containers, I was surprised that some drinks here were cheaper as takeaway. Wondered aloud about the possibility of customers drinking their takeaway orders at the barely furnished place and was told they would be charged the drink-in price. The promotion is meant to encourage takeaway orders due to its limited seats (I counted 8 small tables of 2-3 chairs each). While my question had yet to be answered, I decided against ordering a takeaway to drink in after payment lest I would be shooed out of the café or had to top up the price difference. Most seats were unoccupied at that time but I did not probe further and instead ordered a macchiato.


Patiently waited with the complimentary small cup of cold water at one of the high tables and at long last, my drink arrived. Could neither smell nor taste the aroma of roasted beans in the cuppa so acidic that I had to add a little raw sugar to smoothen the taste a bit, but still disappointing. Saw serviettes given to other customers (but not me) and brews costing at least five times more than kopi from local coffeeshop being served in the exact same glasses. More expensive than nearby Joe & Dough and The Sandwich Shop, which I did not try. Other indie cafés in the area like Black Coffee Dessert Bar, Dimbulah and Oriole Espresso and Brew Bar served better coffee at comparable, if not cheaper, prices. With better service and more comfortable seats too. It probably dared claim to serve the best coffee on the bridge because it was the only one serving coffee on the bridge. 

Update: The café has closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment