· WITH THE GADGET–LOVING CAFFEINE JUNKIE ·

Sunday 9 June 2013

Ah Chew Desserts

After dinner in the Bugis vicinity one evening, my dining companions and I dropped by Ji De Chi for Mango with Pomelo Sago. This was many years ago and there was no turning back since. I have subsequently visited both branches at Liang Seah Street and Jurong Point (there is another one at Plaza Singapura) and tried its Durian with Pomelo Sago, Mango Baked Puff Rolls and Durian in Sticky Rice Rolls. However, there was a long queue when I was there yesterday so we decided to try Ah Chew Desserts on the same street instead. Not that there was no queue, but it seemed shorter and I recently saw drooling pictures and rave reviews on its desserts. It was a short wait before we were seated at a hard ebony wood table with a menu pasted on it underneath a glass cover. Upon deciding what to eat from the dazzling choices available, we proceeded to join another queue at the order counter in the shop space next door.


Looking around while waiting for our desserts to arrive which did not take too long, I noticed that the air-conditioned place had an oriental look with ancient Chinese paintings and lanterns. My Durian Mango sago with pomelo was too watery for my liking with an overwhelming smell and taste of both coconut and milk. Would have preferred more durian pulp on top, and was disappointed to see ice cubes included in the huge bowl with sago I could neither rave about nor fault. While juicy mango chunks were aplenty and mostly sweet, could not say the same of the crunchy bitter pomelo. A dining companion who used to sell desserts commented that its Black sesame paste was good and I could smell a nice aroma of black sesame seeds from across the table. Would be back for other items on the menu when there is no queue, as it is not worth the wait though still better than another Hong Kong dessert chain with 9 branches in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment