· WITH THE GADGET–LOVING CAFFEINE JUNKIE ·

Saturday 6 July 2013

Pique Nique

After a day of eating and shopping, my dining companion and I were more tired than hungry. It was time for dinner and we were in town where snaking queues were the norm for most restaurants. Pique Nique is no different most of the times I passed by the casual laid-back American eatery and whenever I went to buy its cookies in pretty boxes as gifts for friends. The branch at basement 1 of Takashimaya Shopping Centre, Ngee Ann City where Mac Donald used to be and opposite Kentucky Fried Chicken has a setting inspired by the Central Park in New York City. While that at JCube is a blend of nature with SOHO living so customers can experience the outdoors in the comfort of indoor dining. I have tried the afternoon tea at JCube before and did not think much of its sweets and coffee. As such, I ordered a Big Breakfast during my 1st visit to the one at Takashimaya.


While I usually prefer my eggs to be done sunny-up, I chose poached over scrambled or fried this time. Found it bland and the yolks hard to swallow. Grilled bacon lacked the crisp I liked and pork sausage was too salty for my liking with a tough outer skin. Nothing to rave about or fault on the grilled tomato and crunchy side salad though loved the chopped capsicums which came with the baked beans. A pity fruit preserves could not be served with the barely toasted white toast as I neither eat my white bread plain nor have it with butter, and orange juice or coffee could not be changed to tea. Food was a far cry from Antoinette's, also part of Sugar Daddy Group by Chef Pang Kok Keong who 1st introduced macarons in Singapore when he was at Canelé. In addition, service was slow and requests could not be accommodated. Doubt I would be back.


Update: The restaurant has closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment