· WITH THE GADGET–LOVING CAFFEINE JUNKIE ·

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Food For Thought

Used to have family outings to Singapore Botanic Gardens where we would breathe in fresh air, walk and run in the park. Once, I was offered a chocolate but my initial happiness upon receiving one as a child soon turned to disappointment as it had melted. Have always been a fussy eater since young and eat neither melted chocolate nor ice-cream. At a tender age when I did not know they could be re-frozen, I gave away the chocolate. I did not care that it was safe-kept for me in the cooler box, which I thought was just a container to store and carry the drinks, until it was later returned to me. My eyes lit up and I happily ate the no-longer-melted chocolate. A childhood memory deeply etched in my mind and fondly recalled during my recent visit to the tourist attraction I have not been to in ages.


The weather was good for a leisure stroll among the greenery with the sound of nature. While a few people were here for exercise, others could be seen having picnics on the grass. It was bustling in the few eateries within the compound, including Halia and Food For Thought where we had lunch. Luckily, it started to rain only after we reached the simply furnished place located at B1 of Botany Centre near Tanglin Gate. Took a high table where there were two menus on clipboards, decided what to eat and proceeded to order at the counter with our table number. While waiting for our food to be served, I looked around and could not help noticing the minimalist and industrial touches in the vast space with high ceiling and open kitchen. Interestingly, tins were used as lamp shades and plants were grown out of "holes" in two square cement tables that could sit eight people each.


1st to arrive was my macchiato that had a faint aroma of roasted beans and tasted bitter with muted acidity, but still good enough without adding condiments. Next was a chef recommendation, aglio olio garlic prawns with red capsicum linguine. There was a nice aroma of garlic, fresh prawns and just the right amount of olive oil that the dish was neither too dry nor oily. Taste of the al-dente pasta was accentuated by bonito flakes, coriander and red capsicum. The latter, together with a dash of pepper, added a touch of spice. In contrast, found the flavourful chicken rendang too spicy and oily for my liking. Served with crispy fries so finger-licking good we found the portion too small crispy (as its name suggested) on the outside, soft and full of potato goodness inside. And finally another chef recommendation, duo of pancakes with sliced banana and walnuts atop and inside, served with fresh cream and gula melaka syrup. These were hot and thick, soft and fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment