· WITH THE GADGET–LOVING CAFFEINE JUNKIE ·

Thursday 2 January 2014

Muthu’s Curry

Muthu's Curry at Suntec City is my favourite Indian restaurant because it is not only conveniently located in a shopping mall, but also serves consistently good food at reasonable prices. However, renovations at Suntec City have made manoeuvring around the once familiar shopping mall confusing and I have not visited in a long while. Started as Muthu Makan shop on Klang Road in 1969, Muthu's Curry has a branch at Race Course Road in Little India and another in Dempsey Hill. When I finally dropped by the renovated restaurant after a more-than-one-year hiatus, it was almost empty. Possibly because I was there on a weekday for early dinner or that it faced stiff competition from other restaurants also located at basement around the Fountain of Wealth. Sitting at one of the bench seats, I ordered mostly the usual and tried its Lamb Chops for the first time. No Fish Head Curry but Tandoori Chicken, Masala Prawns and Biryani Rice served with vegetables.


As my dining companion and I did not order any curries, staff included a complimentary bowl each of chicken and fish curry gravy so we could drizzle it over rice or dip the also complimentary and crisp papadam in. While I do not normally eat lamb or mutton, found the Lamb Chops surprisingly good. It came with round slices of grilled pineapple slices and was tender enough to be pried apart with metal fork and spoon. Could smell a charred aroma and taste the marinade in the meat that did not have a gamely smell and taste. Colour of Tandoori Chicken looked different from what we remembered it to be, was a tad dry and I would prefer it to be marinated more. Similarly, could barely make out the spice in Masala Prawns which were big and a tad hard with a seafood smell if you know what I mean. Big portions of basmati rice, served in metal bowls and refillable, were cooked just right with spices infused into the Biryani. Everything was still as lovely and I would be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment