· WITH THE GADGET–LOVING CAFFEINE JUNKIE ·

Thursday 26 December 2013

Togi BBQ & Salad Bar

Togi Korean Restaurant started a decade ago as a small restaurant in Mosque Street and has since opened a 2nd branch in Singapore. Located on the 2nd floor of TripleOne Somerset beside Daruma Ramen House, Togi BBQ & Salad Bar does not look like a typical Korean restaurant. Simply furnished with white walls and high ceiling, it is spacious and not filled with smoke. Clean-looking with vertical gardens on walls and overhanging from above, the place has wooden tables and chairs both indoors and outdoors. Having walked by a couple of times, I finally visited on a weekday evening and was seated immediately. First to arrive was a complimentary small bowl of porridge I could neither rave about nor fault. This was followed by six different types of banchan, of which I liked the anchovies or ikan bilis and fishcake reminiscent of local yong tau hu best.


Unlike the kimchi I thought was not marinated enough, my order of rice cake and dumpling ramen did not feel watered down. A tad spicy soup was delicious and makes a hearty meal with soft and springy, not over-chewy and hard, rice cake. Though there was nothing to rave about the instant noodles or fault on the dumpling. Seafood pancake had a thin and crisp outside full of fresh and sweet seafood inside. One of the best, if not the best, seafood pancake I have tried in Singapore. Portions were huge and I left the place feeling very full, as I usually do when I eat at Korean restaurants. Every item on the menu always looks so tempting that I over-order and forget to take the free-flow banchan, often irresistible, into account. With attentive service by friendly staff, now I know where to satisfy my cravings for Korean food when it hits while in town.

Update: The restaurant has closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment