· WITH THE GADGET–LOVING CAFFEINE JUNKIE ·

Sunday 28 February 2016

Ootoya

Passed by Ootoya, established in Japan since 1958, at both Clementi Mall and Orchard Central (it also has presence at Changi City Point) many times. The former looks empty from the outside while there is almost always a queue outside the latter. Was looking for a place to have an early dinner on a recent weekend when I finally decided to try the Japanese place, at its Orchard branch. As I would be having chawanmushi that was part of my dining companion's set order  also comes with rice, miso soup and pickles, I decided to have its Mushi Nabe as an alacarte item. It was described as steamed vegetables and Yongenton silky pork in hot pot. Served in a claypot with bonito flakes on the side, the thinly-sliced pork was tender with just the right amount of fats. Steamed vegetables comprised of lettuce, mushroom, onion and tomatoes that I could not fault. I enjoyed the pleasant dish despite the a-tad-bland soup, but not the meal due to its slow service that explained the perpetual queues.

No comments:

Post a Comment